Skip to main content

Bone Scan

My first test was scheduled for the day after I first met my team. It was a bone scan - my very first nuclear test. My mother had had several scans using nuclear isotopes during the period of her life when she had non-Hodgkins lymphoma (she's been in remission for over 2 years), so I was able to grill her regarding her experience. Mine was only slightly different - I was allowed to leave the hospital during the waiting period.

The injection was tiny and not painful. The technician had cleverly hidden the larger lead container for storing the syringe (where it is kept to reduce exposure of the operators) behind himself, so I only saw the smaller lead encased syringe. Once the injection was done, a quick scan in the machine was done to observe the spread of the nuclear material through my blood. I was a little surprised at how close the top plate of the machine was brought to my face.

Next, the two hour wait. My husband and I went across the street to the ELLICSR Centre to relax. It's quite nice there - I'll write about it more in another entry. After two hours of reading in their comfy chairs we headed back to Mt. Sinai to finish the scans. These scans took longer and my back actually started to hurt from laying in the same position for so long. I got a break between each scan which I used to go to the washroom and to get help adjusting the cushions on the table to get more comfortable.

Test Ratings
Time Required [short, medium, long]:  long (3-4 hours)
Pain Factor [0-10]:  1 (almost no pain, just a little needle)
Comfort Factor [0-10]:  6 (comfortable once you get sorted, but there isn't much opportunity for adjustments)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free and Cheap Stuff for My Peeps

Cancer almost inevitably results in having less moola to get by on. You're working less or not at all, you have hella medications to buy (some costing as much as $3000 a dose), you're constantly shuttling yourself back and forth from the hospital paying for transit or parking. In the absence of a Cancer Discount Card (which I would totally love to set up if there is anyone out there who wants to work on that with me) it helps to grab whatever free or almost free stuff you can. Aside from the well publicized ride services and free wigs (via the Canadian Cancer Society ) there are a number of other freebies available to us, some logical, some kind of random. Cottage Dreams Cottage Dreams provides one week at a cottage in Ontario to anyone who is currently not in active treatment. I imagine that taking Tamoxifen or getting your year of Herceptin infusions doesn't count, but I guess it's worth asking. If you are in treatment you can apply now for when you have fin

8-Wheeled Anti-Radiation Tomb and Other Radiation Skin Care Tips

The one side effect that everyone undergoing radiation therapy will experience is skin irritation and potential breakdown. Most people compare the skin reaction to a sunburn -- how bad of a sunburn will depend on a number of factors. Don't assume that having darker skin will protect you from the effect, you should still care for your skin as if you are the palest person you have ever seen.

On Finishing Chemotherapy

Wow. When I started chemo back in March the end seemed an eternity away. Now I am done and just awaiting the final set of nasty side-effects to kick in and eventually pass. Unlike most breast cancer patients I'm still at the beginning of my treatment. This is not a graduation for me. But I'm hoping that this is the end of the worst part. The repeating "get sick, get better, get sick again" cycles have become more of a way of life than I imagine surgery or radiation being. So what does it feel like to have finished? Well, my attitude in the chemo ward ("day care" as they call it at Princess Margaret to distinguish it from inpatient care) was 180° from my attitude during the first session. I was excited to get started. I had a huge smile on my face for most of the session. But now that chemo is done... what do I do now? My surgery date will be determined by the results of the various scans I have next week due to a loverly complicating case of DVT that I g