Skip to main content

Chemo Cycle 1 - Day 1

It has started! Yesterday I went for my first chemo session. Anxious? Yes! Terrified? Yes! Sobbing like a baby? Of course! It was too soon but it couldn't be soon enough.

Ok, ok, I only cried when the nurse started grilling me about how I was feeling. And once we got going, I just talked my way through it. I must say she was the most amazing at giving needles - I barely felt anything. Even after discussing bad needle experiences with my friend Sherri!

If you want to see what the chemo area looks like, search for Cynthia Mulligan's series "Kicking Cancer" on citytv.ca. It's basically a bunch of reclining chairs (no, not leather) with tables on both arms. I was offered a blanket and pillow. The nurse, whose name I should have made a note of, warmed my arm up with a heating pad before poking me. The session consisted of 4 vials administered by syringe (called a "push") and 1 baggie of chemo meds administered by drip, followed by saline (or whatever it is called).

The only side effect I had during the chemo session was a funny taste and smell -- I thought it was a little antiseptic smelling. Sour cherry gummies to the rescue! During the final vial/push I was given a choice of sucking on a popsicle or ice chips. I chose a chocolate popsicle.

Once I got home, I couldn't tell if I was hungry or full, but tried to snack throughout the day. I got progressively more headachey and nauseated (similar to a moderate hangover) so I took my additional anti-emetics. Eventually I switched off the tv, turned off the lights, and just rested. This helped a lot.

I fell asleep with no trouble and felt great when my cat woke me up at 6am. I had trouble falling back asleep, but managed to eventually and was woken up at 8am to get ready for my MRI (fun times)!

Comments

  1. You tweeted that you liked your MRI. Really? I almost lost my mind when I had one. That noise! And being told that I can't move means my legs immediately get twitchy. You're obviously much tougher than I am.

    That toughness will get you through this, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost started laughing a few times during the MRI. It was like being locked in an isolation pod during a German noise band concert. Luckily only my torso was being scanned so I was free to twitch my toes to the rhythm. I'm sure my über-anti-nausea drugs probably helped with my sense of humour on that day too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free and Cheap Stuff for My Peeps

Cancer almost inevitably results in having less moola to get by on. You're working less or not at all, you have hella medications to buy (some costing as much as $3000 a dose), you're constantly shuttling yourself back and forth from the hospital paying for transit or parking. In the absence of a Cancer Discount Card (which I would totally love to set up if there is anyone out there who wants to work on that with me) it helps to grab whatever free or almost free stuff you can. Aside from the well publicized ride services and free wigs (via the Canadian Cancer Society ) there are a number of other freebies available to us, some logical, some kind of random. Cottage Dreams Cottage Dreams provides one week at a cottage in Ontario to anyone who is currently not in active treatment. I imagine that taking Tamoxifen or getting your year of Herceptin infusions doesn't count, but I guess it's worth asking. If you are in treatment you can apply now for when you have fin

8-Wheeled Anti-Radiation Tomb and Other Radiation Skin Care Tips

The one side effect that everyone undergoing radiation therapy will experience is skin irritation and potential breakdown. Most people compare the skin reaction to a sunburn -- how bad of a sunburn will depend on a number of factors. Don't assume that having darker skin will protect you from the effect, you should still care for your skin as if you are the palest person you have ever seen.

On Finishing Chemotherapy

Wow. When I started chemo back in March the end seemed an eternity away. Now I am done and just awaiting the final set of nasty side-effects to kick in and eventually pass. Unlike most breast cancer patients I'm still at the beginning of my treatment. This is not a graduation for me. But I'm hoping that this is the end of the worst part. The repeating "get sick, get better, get sick again" cycles have become more of a way of life than I imagine surgery or radiation being. So what does it feel like to have finished? Well, my attitude in the chemo ward ("day care" as they call it at Princess Margaret to distinguish it from inpatient care) was 180° from my attitude during the first session. I was excited to get started. I had a huge smile on my face for most of the session. But now that chemo is done... what do I do now? My surgery date will be determined by the results of the various scans I have next week due to a loverly complicating case of DVT that I g