Skip to main content

CT Scan

My second, and least favourite, test was the CT Scan. I've had two CT scans before, so I knew what to expect. This one was actually much faster than either of the others -- maybe because I had warned them that the contrast medium makes me incredibly nauseated.

For those who have never had the pleasure of being passed through this device, I will describe the experience. The machine itself is a ring shaped device (google it and you'll get lots of examples). You lie on a table that passes through the ring during the procedure. Most of the time is spent hooking you up to and disconnecting you from an IV that is fed a contrast medium by a pump at the crucial moment when the scan is running. If it weren't for the fact that I react badly to the stuff that gets pumped through your veins at light-speed, I wouldn't mind this scan at all. It tastes like iodine (or rather, causes you to taste iodine, since I've never actually eaten the stuff) and makes every tissue it passes feel warm. When chatting with a friend (who has also had CT scans) about this I compared the sensation of the stuff entering the crotch zone to the feeling of having peed my pants. She had a more favourable interpretation of both the crotch sensation and the scan experience in general. The actual scanning part of the procedure only takes a few seconds - CT scans are super fast. They do a test run first, without the contrast medium, to make sure everything is working -- zip through one side, zip back -- then repeat with the dye. Then you're done.

So, as I mentioned earlier the contrast medium makes me insanely nauseated. I told the technicians this before they started. The person in charge of the IV pump suggested injecting the solution more slowly. I do believe this helped -- I didn't have the racing heart and light headedness that I've experienced before. After the scan was done she gave me a towel to drool and spit into while she worked on other stuff (who said cancer wasn't glamourous?) -- not having to swallow the copious amounts of saliva that was filling my mouth helped as well. She suggested taking some Gravol before I have another CT scan. Apparently that helps too.

Test Ratings
Time Required [short, medium, long]:  short (<1 hour from arriving to leaving)
Pain Factor [0-10]:  4 (I HATE the IV pump and the contrast medium -- YMMV)
Comfort Factor [0-10]:  3 (again, I HATE the IV, if there is no contrast medium involved, this scan is a 10 for comfort)

Update (Feb. 20, 2013):
I had what was apparently a reaction to the contrast medium during my last CT scan. It was a rather minor reaction - I felt like I had just snorted a nose-full of dust (sneezey with an itchy nose). After the scan was done I looked up to see one of the technicians standing by with the board stretcher. The itchiness went away pretty quickly, but the nausea was worse than ever. Next time a CT scan is ordered for me I have to take Benadryl and prednisone ahead of time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free and Cheap Stuff for My Peeps

Cancer almost inevitably results in having less moola to get by on. You're working less or not at all, you have hella medications to buy (some costing as much as $3000 a dose), you're constantly shuttling yourself back and forth from the hospital paying for transit or parking. In the absence of a Cancer Discount Card (which I would totally love to set up if there is anyone out there who wants to work on that with me) it helps to grab whatever free or almost free stuff you can. Aside from the well publicized ride services and free wigs (via the Canadian Cancer Society ) there are a number of other freebies available to us, some logical, some kind of random. Cottage Dreams Cottage Dreams provides one week at a cottage in Ontario to anyone who is currently not in active treatment. I imagine that taking Tamoxifen or getting your year of Herceptin infusions doesn't count, but I guess it's worth asking. If you are in treatment you can apply now for when you have fin

8-Wheeled Anti-Radiation Tomb and Other Radiation Skin Care Tips

The one side effect that everyone undergoing radiation therapy will experience is skin irritation and potential breakdown. Most people compare the skin reaction to a sunburn -- how bad of a sunburn will depend on a number of factors. Don't assume that having darker skin will protect you from the effect, you should still care for your skin as if you are the palest person you have ever seen.

On Finishing Chemotherapy

Wow. When I started chemo back in March the end seemed an eternity away. Now I am done and just awaiting the final set of nasty side-effects to kick in and eventually pass. Unlike most breast cancer patients I'm still at the beginning of my treatment. This is not a graduation for me. But I'm hoping that this is the end of the worst part. The repeating "get sick, get better, get sick again" cycles have become more of a way of life than I imagine surgery or radiation being. So what does it feel like to have finished? Well, my attitude in the chemo ward ("day care" as they call it at Princess Margaret to distinguish it from inpatient care) was 180° from my attitude during the first session. I was excited to get started. I had a huge smile on my face for most of the session. But now that chemo is done... what do I do now? My surgery date will be determined by the results of the various scans I have next week due to a loverly complicating case of DVT that I g