Skip to main content

It's Cold Out There When You Got No Hair

I am lucky to live near Canada's top cancer centre, Princess Margaret Hospital. In addition to the medical care and research done at Princess Margaret, the hospital also has an extensive patient education and survivorship program. The focus on caring for the patient as a whole extends into all areas of the hospital, including the hospital's Wig Salon.

At the beginning of my wig fitting appointment at the PMH Wig Salon, Zane gave me a tour of the store focussing on the various types of headwear I may need once my hair fell out. The focus was on practical needs. It turns out that there are some considerations to keep in mind beyond trying to look good.

Here are a few head accessories suggested at my wig appointment that have come in handy.

1) Simple, easy head coverings for wearing around the house
My head and ears get chilly now that I'm bald. Lucky for me, my mother is trying to cure my cancer through crocheting. I have a huge assortment of soft caps to choose from while lounging around on the couch or sitting in front of the computer.

2) Light, comfortable caps for sleeping in
I find that my daytime headwear is too warm at night (but again, with nothing on my head gets cold). While my auto-temperature-adjusting cat hat (her name is Asha) has been both the softest and most comfortable head covering for sleeping, she is also the least reliable (often getting up in the middle of the night to eat or play). So I keep a t-shirt weight cap on hand to slip over my head while I sleep.

3) If you are receiving treatment during the summer, or live at a latitude that has moderate to high UV year-round, a wide-brimmed hat
Chemo can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. So even if you are wearing a wig every day you will still need to keep the sun off of your face and neck.

4) A stylish hat or scarf for wearing to the store, pharmacy, or doctors appointments
I actually love my hats and will probably keep wearing them after my hair grows back. Until then, a stylish newsboy cap will always trump the stereotypical chemo scarf or turban when I'm in a rush.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free and Cheap Stuff for My Peeps

Cancer almost inevitably results in having less moola to get by on. You're working less or not at all, you have hella medications to buy (some costing as much as $3000 a dose), you're constantly shuttling yourself back and forth from the hospital paying for transit or parking. In the absence of a Cancer Discount Card (which I would totally love to set up if there is anyone out there who wants to work on that with me) it helps to grab whatever free or almost free stuff you can. Aside from the well publicized ride services and free wigs (via the Canadian Cancer Society ) there are a number of other freebies available to us, some logical, some kind of random. Cottage Dreams Cottage Dreams provides one week at a cottage in Ontario to anyone who is currently not in active treatment. I imagine that taking Tamoxifen or getting your year of Herceptin infusions doesn't count, but I guess it's worth asking. If you are in treatment you can apply now for when you have fin

8-Wheeled Anti-Radiation Tomb and Other Radiation Skin Care Tips

The one side effect that everyone undergoing radiation therapy will experience is skin irritation and potential breakdown. Most people compare the skin reaction to a sunburn -- how bad of a sunburn will depend on a number of factors. Don't assume that having darker skin will protect you from the effect, you should still care for your skin as if you are the palest person you have ever seen.

On Finishing Chemotherapy

Wow. When I started chemo back in March the end seemed an eternity away. Now I am done and just awaiting the final set of nasty side-effects to kick in and eventually pass. Unlike most breast cancer patients I'm still at the beginning of my treatment. This is not a graduation for me. But I'm hoping that this is the end of the worst part. The repeating "get sick, get better, get sick again" cycles have become more of a way of life than I imagine surgery or radiation being. So what does it feel like to have finished? Well, my attitude in the chemo ward ("day care" as they call it at Princess Margaret to distinguish it from inpatient care) was 180° from my attitude during the first session. I was excited to get started. I had a huge smile on my face for most of the session. But now that chemo is done... what do I do now? My surgery date will be determined by the results of the various scans I have next week due to a loverly complicating case of DVT that I g